Archive for November, 2008
And possibly a growing pillow problem.
But at least it’s not a pufferfish problem. What’s a pufferfish problem you ask? One day my big boy was screaming, “Mom, I need your help quick.” I dashed off to find him at the computer playing Diego’s Undersea Adventure on noggin.com with a clear pufferfish problem. It wasn’t pretty.
I wanted to try something fast and scrappy when I had a few minutes this afternon. I grabbed the scrap bag and found some Chez Moi from my quilt and sewed them together randomly. Voila! A pillow.
• I have finally pieced the back for the dinosaur quilt at long last. I had extra strips from the nine patches that I worked into the back. The batting arrived last week and the extension table I ordered should be in any day now. Then I can break out my rusty quilting skills and have at it. It’s getting chilly now and the big boy should have it on his bed.
• I’ve decided to sew some holiday gifts and made these two totes from the Sew, Mama, Sew tutorial. After the first one, I realized the importance of a contrasting fabric pocket to make it more interesting.
• I’m on the last set of nine patches for the blooming nine patch quilt. Only 64 of these. (There are a total of 288 of them in the quilt. Yikes!) Then the corner triangles and sew the strips together. Whoop, there’s a quilt top.
• Lastly, I made the sloppiest potholder ever. I have Insul-Brite plus two layers of batting (overkill!) that made it difficult to move smoothly through my machine. Then I tried to use bias tape to bind and made a big mess of that as well. It’s too bad because the fabric is fun. I’ll just have to keep it myself because the lime green matches my kitchen.
I’ve got the diagonal strips sewn up to the eighth fabric, that’s as far as the pattern goes. Of course, I can’t stick to a pattern so I’m adding an additional row, to make a queen sized quilt.
I think the subtle colors on the outside need something to bounce off of so they won’t be drowned out by the color in the center. I’m auditioning the center fabric to use on the edges. I think it works.